DEVELOPING AN ABSOLUTE TRUST

When we’re in the midst of a trial, we must get our eyes off our troubles. In just such times, we need to encourage ourselves, saying, “My God can do anything—and He hasn’t forgotten me. He has His eyes on me right now, as I endure this awful trial. And I know, no matter how bad things look, that He has everything under control. Nobody, and no power, can change the plans He has for me.”

Maybe you’re discouraged right now, wondering, “I can’t see any way out of my troubles. Will I ever get out of this fiery trial? Will my suffering continue until Jesus comes? Lord, will I ever be able to rejoice again?”

Here is God’s answer to you: “Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy” (James 5:11). “The Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before” (Job 42:10).

You may not double what you’ve lost, as Job did. But you will possess something much greater. You’ll have a true heart-knowledge that God is in control of your life. His love for you will no longer be just a theological concept. Instead, you’ll know His deliverance deeply, in a personal way. And you’ll never again fear any adversary or hardship. Why? Because you will have come through your trial more than a conqueror, seated in heavenly places with Christ Jesus.

Right now, like Job at the beginning of his trial, you may know God only from hearing about Him, through sermons and Bible studies. That’s good, because Scripture tells us that is exactly where our faith comes from: hearing the Word of God. Yet, now God wants you to see Him as well. He wants you to develop an absolute trust that He has a divine plan designed for your life. And His eternal purpose cannot be thwarted by any demon in hell, nor by any monster that appears in your path.

Then, in the midst of your greatest trial, you’ll be able to testify of God’s goodness, as Job did. And you’ll quote confidently this great statement of faith: “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him” (Job 13:15).