WAIT UPON THE LORD

The devil has a strategy to deceive believers and make them doubt the faithfulness of God in answering prayer. Satan would have us believe that God has shut His ears to our cry and left us to work things out for ourselves.

I believe the greatest tragedy in the church of Jesus Christ today is that so few believe in the power and effectiveness of prayer. Without meaning to blaspheme, multitudes of God's people can now be heard complaining, "I pray, but I get no answers. I've prayed so long, so hard, without any results. All I want is to see a little evidence of things changing. Things go on as usual—nothing happens. How long must I wait?" They no longer visit the secret closet because they are convinced that their petitions, born in prayer, are miscarried at the throne. Others are convinced that only Daniel, David, and Elijah types can get their prayers through to God.

In all honesty, many saints of God struggle with these thoughts: "If God's ear is open to my prayer, and I pray diligently, why is there such little evidence of His answering?" Is there one certain prayer you have been praying for such a long time, and as yet it has not been answered? Have even years gone by and still you wait, hoping, yet wondering?

Let us be careful not to charge God, as Job did, with being slothful and unconcerned about our needs and petitions. Job complained, "I cry unto thee, and thou dost not hear me: I stand up, and thou regardest me not" (Job 30:20).

Job’s vision of God's faithfulness was clouded by his difficulties. He ended up accusing God of forgetting him and God rebuked him soundly for it.

It's time we Christians took an honest look at the reasons why our prayers are aborted. We can be guilty of charging God with neglect, when all along our own behavior is responsible.

“Wait on the Lord, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land” (Psalm 37:34)