BREAD OF STRENGTH

I once spent a week weeping before the Lord, crying out to him for a message of comfort and hope for all the hurting believers who write to our ministry. While working in New York City with addicts, alcoholics and the homeless, I have prayed, “Lord, everywhere I look I see pain, distress, grief and trouble. What message can I possibly give to those in such dire need? What is your word to them? Surely you care for these precious people. Surely you long to bring them a word that can set them free.”

The Lord gave me assurance that he has provided a way to strengthen every child of his to resist the enemy. This strength comes only from eating the Bread sent down from heaven. Our spiritual health depends on getting this Bread into us.

Listen carefully to the words of Jesus: “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me” (John 6:57). Jesus was in such close communion with the Father, and was so committed to doing only his will, that the Father’s words became his very food and drink. Jesus was sustained daily by hearing and seeing what the Father wanted, which was the result of spending much time alone with him.

Christ told his disciples, “I have meat to eat that you know not of…. My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work” (John 4:32 and 34). He also instructed them, “Labor not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you” (John 6:27). We dare not miss this secret of strength; even as Christ lived by the Father, we must also receive our life by feeding on Christ.

When the children of Israel were in the wilderness, the manna that sustained them was dispensed daily. Through this example God is telling us that what we ate of Christ yesterday will not supply our need for today. We must admit we will starve spiritually and become weak and helpless without a daily supply of fresh heavenly Bread. We must come to the Lord’s Table often.